[Noisebridge-discuss] [Build] 2169 shrine

Christoph Maier cm.hardware.software.elsewhere at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 03:07:27 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 19:01 -0700, Ceren Ercen wrote:
[...]
> tl;dr: This "god" isn't necessarily "divine", it's more a focal point to
>    illustrate a facet of human existence.
>
> There is such a thing as disrespectful Cultural Appropriation, but the
> flexibility inherent in Buddhist historical figures ends up giving us a
> character that I find amusingly appropriate to our "be excellent"
> philosophy.

Hmmm ... Guan Yu was a general, which implies that his shrine implies an
endorsement of military values.
Not orthogonal, but opposite to what noisebridge stands for (I hope!)

> (There's probably even a different historical figure who's
> more appropriate, but, whatev.)

Speaking of generals, one could just as well put up a memorial for Kemal
Atatürk (maybe I'm playing Devil's Advocate here) :-P

Come to think of it, I tend to favor Rachel's point of view, and find
the opinion of Naomi most constructive.

Christoph