[Noisebridge-discuss] [Build] 2169 shrine

Jason Dusek jason.dusek at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 07:17:45 UTC 2009

2009/08/27 Rachel McConnell <rachel at xtreme.com>:
> I don't want it because it is a religious object, which I feel
> has no place at Noisebridge. Even if it's Cute and Historical
> and Adds Character. Noisebridge ought to be entirely
> orthogonal to religion...

  I now understand how so many of you felt when it was suggested
  that the pornographic posters be removed. Pornography is an
  important way of expressing your values and feeling
  comfortable in a space.

  Naturally, as a would-be Sinologist and folklorist, I am
  greatly pleased to have an example of a living mythology in
  the space; it is expressive of the deep continuity of
  humanity's striving for meaning, a continuity that led me
  first to the work of the Jungians and later to Buddhist
  practice.

  I understand that, in the value system of contemporary San
  Francisco, pornography is "more righteous" (in theory if not
  in practice) than images of Huang Di, Guan Yu or Lao Zi. It is
  more important, however, that we consider what it says about a
  Noisebridge that would streamroll the values of those members
  who have given much to the study of traditional folklore (Guan
  Yu is a great folk hero), martial arts (the Guan Dao is
  attributed to Guan Yu) and religion (Guan Yu is a
  Bodhisattva). We are no less dedicated -- no less sincere --
  than those of you who feel that sex-positivity is an answer in
  your life.

> ...having a shrine is either promoting or disrespecting (of
> course in a totally cute and funny way, those wacky Chinese,
> gosh that's neat!) some religion or other.

  This is false dichotomy. We have at least a third option,
  namely: respect.

--
Jason Dusek