[Noisebridge-discuss] [Build] 2169 shrine

Jason Dusek jason.dusek at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 07:33:15 UTC 2009

  It is also worth pointing out that Guan Yu is a particularly
  appropriate idol for Noisebridge:

    In the Western world, Guan Yu is sometimes called the Taoist
    God of War, probably because he is one of the most
    well-known military general worshiped by the Chinese people.
    This is a misconception of his role, as, unlike Mars or Tyr,
    Guan Yu as a god does not necessarily bless those who go to
    battle but rather people who observe the code of brotherhood
    and righteousness.

  This explains the near ubiquity of his following:

    Though by no means mandatory, most Chinese policemen worship
    and pay respect to him. Although Seemingly ironic, members
    of the Triad gangs and the Hung clan worship Guan Yu as
    well. ... This exemplifies the Chinese belief that a code of
    honor, epitomized by Guan Yu, exists even in the underworld.

  Perhaps we can all see the serendipity in this? Also, it gives
  us an answer whenever we're challenged with the "Where's your
  God now?" meme.

--
Jason Dusek