[Noisebridge-discuss] [Build] 2169 shrine

Jeffrey Malone ieatlint at tehinterweb.com
Fri Aug 28 09:06:16 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 12:53 AM, Jason Dusek<jason.dusek at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Actually, we do have pornographic material that is relevant to
>  "us as individuals". Opposition to its removal was fierce.
>
>  I welcome a consistent, fair policy.

I fear a policy like this.  Not because of what's fair, but because
it's a slippery slope.

This argument can be applied across the board to anything from a
poster of the FSM, to nazi propaganda -- so long as at least one
person claims it's important to them.  What if I feel swastikas are
dear to me?

So, I personally feel that religious symbols should not be part of
Noisebridge, especially when there is almost a guarantee that they
will be disrespected (I'd like to see what some people think about the
club mate on the shrine right now).

The "pornographic" posters (which contain no pornographic images and
you'll see more "racy" things watching fox any night of the week) are
separate.  They are not religious, and most are part of projects
people have been involved with or Noisebridge itself is involved with.
There are no events, workshops or official participation in any
religion at Noisebridge.  Nor can there be, as our tax status prevents
it.

I doubt that prevents us from having religious symbols such as the
shrine, but I personally feel that religion and Noisebridge shouldn't
be mixing.  Most of us are not religious, and Noisebridge isn't
either.  Breaking into a philosophical discussion of whether this
particular shrine represents values from its religion that we might
share is a pointless discussion I think.

So, also note that I invoked Godwin's law above.

Jeffrey