[Noisebridge-discuss] Heating without electricity + watt/hour meter

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Tue Dec 8 22:46:16 UTC 2009

This is a pretty damned cold week for SF, near records.  We should probably
be better-prepared to handle it, but we oughtn't spend a bunch of
money/resources on solving the problem too thoroughly just yet, any more
than we'd put in A/C to handle that one week in October when summer passes
through town on its migratory route South.

Let me chime in with the cheap, ad-hoc, yet popular solution I saw in spades
last night:

   - Beanies/toques/hats.  We could probably get some neat loaners in the
   space.
   - Fingerless gloves.  Apparently H&M has them for pretty cheap ($2.50),
   and I'll bet we can find them in the little import shops on Mission for
   cheaper.
   - Scarves
   - Fleeces
   - Layers in general: this is SF, you always need layers!

With a few layers, fingerless gloves, and long hair, I was perfectly
comfortable in the space last night.  A couple of good tricks: blouse your
pants and tuck in your shirt.  It seals in the air next to your body, and
keeps it warmer. Baggy hoodies really want a shirt underneath of them,
tucked in.  Also, I left my tie tight, because, well, it makes a nice seal.
(Have you noticed that the Victorian apartments in town are always drafty?
And that Victorians wore lots of layers?  Hmmm...)

The "Dapper Solution" is far from ideal, and not particularly friendly to
people just hanging out in the space, but it makes it reasonable to come in
and hack on projects.  This is fine by me: I'm way more interested in
noisebridge the hacklab than noisebridge the hang-out spot.  If you'd like a
more comfortable place to gossip and watch YouTube, there's an abundance of
cute little coffee shops all up and down Mission and Valencia, many of which
have free WiFi, power, and heat (Muddy Water's at Valencia and 16th is
great).

Happy hacking,
--
Josh Myer 650.248.3796