[Noisebridge-discuss] [POTENTIAL DRAMA] What do people think about GW?

Rachel McConnell rachel at xtreme.com
Thu Dec 10 23:50:50 UTC 2009

Glen Jarvis wrote:
>     I expect it centralizes its information,
>     which would be problematic for many if it catches on, but possibly no
>     more so than IM systems *IF* Google lets other people implement Wave
>     servers.  I haven't done this research at all though.
>

> Yes, Google has said this is open source and you can set up your own
> servers. I think they want to make this catch on to replace email across
> the board so everyone has their very own.
>
> Like many things right now, it's in a very *very* early stage -- so
> there's a lot still being worked out, planned, updated, etc.

Do any of you who pointed this out know what their idea is for the
pick-a-server problem?  By which I mean, I might want to wave with not
only the people in my company, but people in other companies, and other
social groups, all of whom might have their own servers set up.  REALLY
DO NOT WANT to have accounts on all of those.  I can imagine leaving it
to the client and requiring any Wave to pick a server to play on (like
MMORGs) or implementing some kind of single signon system.  There are
probably other options too, anyone know?

Rachel