[Noisebridge-discuss] seeking circuit idea: frequency to voltage

jim jim at well.com
Fri Dec 11 19:05:22 UTC 2009

   i love this discussion. best i can tell, the
problem definition should be improved: what is
the nature of the signal you want to measure,
what of that signal do you want to measure, and
what's the time constraint of the measurement?
   for example, if the signal is voice, we can
figure there's a fundamental frequency, there
are harmonics, and there's noise. a bar graph
indicator that is allowed to be imprecise with
a simple, hobbyist-level circuit, can probably
only usefully measure something in the domain
of power (area under the curve, an integration
type of measurement). seems to me at best it
might successfully reflect the fundamental
frequency of the voice, and that could be dicey
in the case of a rapidly changing inflection
(some one speaking excitedly), tho' it seems
like one might be able to make it useful for
singing, where the fundamental is consistent
for many, many milliseconds.
   hoping for more from the experts,
jim