[Noisebridge-discuss] [drama] Re: Noisebridge has a (potentially) newcommunication medium: The Noisebridge ning network!

Ani Niow v at oneletterwonder.com
Mon Dec 21 03:49:34 UTC 2009

This is really getting out of hand. It seems like many non-issues that I've
seen crop up on this mailing list (of which this is certainly one of them)
is a result of geeks failing to communicate properly on what they want to
get done.

To NB Ning person, I genuinely don't care who you are and I'm pretty sure
you're not a viral marketer for reasons mentioned above as well as chats
I've had with others privately. I support your anonymity and your
participation in do-ocracy with creating this platform for us to use.

However, the methods of which you have gone about doing so are the reasons
why people here are objecting to it. Your original post does have the same
qualities a sales pitch would and as much as we as a group like to say we
support anonymity here, in reality people involved in NB have had more
success with pseudo anonymity than full on given the type of social
structure we have created.

If you wanted people to start using this service than give us a reason to
directly participate vs telling us why this is a better place for some
things. Link to a thread about a project there, create an event that people
have to sign up and comment on, give us a direct reason to click on a link
you have provided rather than tell us this is awesome and we should use it.

Its existence will be determined by participation, if no one uses it than it
will go away and people will forget about it. If people do have a use for it
then they will sign up and start becoming involved and it will serve a
purpose. Its that simple.

To others, I'm a bit disappointed that so much vilification and baseless
assumptions have permeated this thread that should have been a simple "oh
that looks neat, maybe I'll start using it" or "I have no use for this and
I'll keep doing what I'm doing" from the participants. Making a non-issue
into a long thread is a nasty habit we seem to have here and I'm hoping to
help break people of this. For all we like to go on about being a do-ocracy
we seem to have no trouble trying to pick apart something someone has
actually done for us.

In summary, don't like it? Don't bloody use it. The "I don't like it so no
one else should use it" is not an attitude that is very productive in the
kind of environment we have created here. If some people find a use for this
then be excellent to them and let them use it. No one is forcing you to sign
up, its not like it is the only way to communicate with people involved here
at Noisebridge.

So please, don't sign up if you don't like it but also don't try to stop
anyone else from doing so or vilifying others that see a use in this.

Thanks and be excellent all,

-Ani