[Noisebridge-discuss] Duplicating another area of the screen in osx?

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Tue Dec 22 06:41:24 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 7:19 PM, Jonathan Lassoff <jof at thejof.com> wrote:
> Is your objection to vim or emacs because they're console-based?

Partially. They're just not really good for projection type display -
I might want to bold something, or arrange in a table. And I
definitely want to be able to use my good IPA font.

It turns out that NeoOffice is not capable of split screen, but *can*
open the same file in two windows flawlessly. Yay!

... unfortunately, my presentation is also in NO, and it has a bug
(via OSX's implementation of Java, they claim) that prevents
distributing it across multiple Spaces (virtual desktops). Which in
turn makes switching a bit more of a pain, since I'd have to break out
of the slide show in order to switch to the text editor and re-start
it again when back, rather than merely smoothly switching spaces there
and back.

If I could start a separate instance of NO Writer that wouldn't try to
fuse with its running instance of Impress, I could probably sidestep
this issue… but AFAIK that's not possible. (Anyone know better?)

MS Word is likewise; it can create two synchronized windows on a
document (though I note it's slightly slower at it than NO :P), but
not a vertical split. On the plus side, it isn't affected by the
java/Spaces bug, so I can run it concurrently w/ NO Impress in another
space, which fulfills my desired functionality. On the downside, well,
it's MS Office. :-P

But I think that that's my best solution so far.

- Sai