[Noisebridge-discuss] [drama] Noisebridge has a (potentially) newcommunication medium: The Noisebridge ning network!

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 12:50:40 UTC 2009

[For those who are following along at home, I am quite serious about the
drama tag in this email.  I'm feeling snarky today.  But hopefully it'll
prove entertaining.  Thanks David Fine for such a great idea!]

Wow, dude.  You seriously aren't getting it.

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 3:16 AM, Noise Bridge <noisebridgening at gmail.com>wrote:

> Re 1) excuse me? 'one of us'? sorry but there IS no 'one of us'. There's
> just EVERYONE. sorry if you mistook NB as a club house but that's not how
> things work.

anyone can come in and do anything they want. no one should have to be
> 'established' or something to present an idea.

Thanks for letting me know how the organization I am a member of works.  I
was previously unaware that there was no usual way of doing things, nor
membership process.  I guess we've all been wasting our time.  I suppose I
should just stop paying my dues right now because it's about everyone and
not about some kind of elite club.

> because it honestly doesn't matter in the least who i am. it doesn't matter
> who made it. what matters is what's done with it. i really didn't think
> people would be so paranoid about such a non issue.

While I agree that good ideas can come from any quarter, we have an almost
continuous stream of people coming in who don't understand how we operate
and what works and what doesn't trying to push this, that or another idea.
Many of them are even better informed than you, and trying to address real
problems rather than trying to invent them.  I'm trying to do you a favor
here in suggesting you either take your ideas elsewhere or try to get to
know us better before trying to shove them down our throat.

I heartily encourage you to hunt down the board members like the dogs they
are.  I suggest Shannon, as he's best at this sort of thing.  (*evil grin*)
I'm not sure what kind of admin you're looking for, though.  I think the
sysadmin group meets on Tuesdays and Fridays, but I don't see what kind of
relevance that has here.

> Re 2) & 3) check the archives? you mean download two years worth of mailing
> list logs and word find 'forum' until i come to the right thread granted
> that i'm even in the right mailing list to begin with? boy a search function
> would be mighty helpful right now. i'm sorry but this all just seems like a
> lot of talk and not a whole lot of do.

See above discussion on what's gone before and what's already been tried.
Pardon me if I'm a bit jaded after having heard similar suggestions, pleas,
or demands (and frankly yours sounds a whole lot like a demand) from 20 or
30 people before you.  Your approach isn't even really that original.  It's
not our fault that you don't seem to care about who you're talking to enough
to make a little effort to get to know them.

> "I propose we form a committee to determine whether or not we should think
> about implementing this system or a variation thereof. But first we should
> vote on whether or not we should even do THAT."

Dude!  We don't even vote around here.  You should at least get that bit
right.  If you feel so strongly about it, just do it and stop screaming
about it.  Have you ever heard the term doocracy?  You should look it up.
Maybe you might learn something.

> "Can't someone just make it and then we can figure out if we like it or not
> after trying it?"
> "no. we're going to talk about it at length."

Why are you wasting your breath here?  You're someone, right? Why are you
talking about it at so much length?

Christie
_______
Getting to the bottom of the hill is convenient. The view from the top of
the hill is stunning. Where would you choose to live?