[Noisebridge-discuss] victor 883 Motor controllers/ Arduino

davidfine d at vidfine.com
Thu Dec 24 20:06:49 UTC 2009

The short answer is YES, these can be driven from an arduino. Generate
the PWM signal with analogWrite()
The longer answer is they use PWM aka pulse width modulation so set the
speed, and arduinos can output that signal.  See
http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/PWM

The docs for the IFI say you may require a "PWM Signal Driver" if you're
using your own controllers to drive it. That probably just means you
need to step up the voltage that the arduino puts out to meet the
operating voltages of the IFI. It says it operates at 6-30V, but i
wouldn't be surprised if the 5V from an arduino will sufficiently drive
the PWM signal. If it turns out to require higher voltage, buy an
appropriate "PWM Signal Driver" IC, or just use a transistor.
--D