[Noisebridge-discuss] [drama] Noisebridge has a (potentially) newcommunication medium: The Noisebridge ning network!

Noise Bridge noisebridgening at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 20:21:12 UTC 2009

thanks for the reply, Jim.

you're right. the "sales pitch" way i went about presenting this might not
have been the best way to present something i made to people. it was too
formal i think. i guess i was just so nervous about putting it out there
that i thought that maybe if i was comprehensive enough with peoples
concerns and was able to communicate the benefits of the medium along side
the current systems that people might take to it easier. i do see now how
that, coupled with my chosen anonymity, my stiff 'pitch' would make people a
bit iffy about using the ning. Still, i would have hoped people would at
least give it a chance and try using it just a little before completely
bashing the mere idea into the ground. Part of what i thought made a
do-ocracy work wasn't just taking the initiative but by learning by doing as
well.

I'm not sure what you mean by the 'silo' aspect of this idea though. if you
mean 'everyone get in here and don't use the other stuff we already have'
i'm vehemently opposed to that. this was made with the mailing list, IRC,
and wiki in mind and is supposed to be used in parallel with those things
(if you noticed i added a few links on the site that point to relevant info
on the wiki). I fully encourage cross-pollination of ideas between the
systems. the more places an idea is presented, the more exposure it can get,
and the more input you might receive. it wouldn't be hard to submit an idea
to both the discussion mailing list AND the ning and refer to them both for
help. I know from experience this is not only possible, not not as hard to
follow as it might sound. I've participated in a few Alternate Reality Games
and there have been times where two forums are working on the same puzzles.
sometimes one forum solves it before the other, or another forum notices
something the other didn't, and they share the information. the forums,
created separately and sometimes without the knowledge of the other in the
beginning, will eventually combine forces and quote important info between
mediums to make sure everyone is on track and playing the game well. I have
do doubt this could work just as well with the ning and the mailing
list/IRC/wiki. i think if an idea has enough people interested in it it'll
be a small matter to pay attention to more than one threads of discussion.

if you don't mean it that way... well my opinion still stands but i'll need
a better definition from you to understand your concern :)