[Noisebridge-discuss] Bottle crusher and DIY-BIO issues

Michael Kan Kan michaelkan_kan at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 26 22:18:57 UTC 2009

Has the volume bottles going into the recycling bin been addressed?

 There seems to be a regular overflow of the blue bin and either we have
a bigger blue bin which may not fit into the street closet.

 Would suggest that we refrain from purchasing bottled beverages, or
purchasing bulk in a single vendor owned container.

 A better solution is to ban alcoholic beverages since the drink tends
to produce problematic behavior especially when it comes to the mindless
mess that it leaves behind.

 As far as DIY-Bio, I was in full support of having it be part of
Noisebridge.
 However I ran into a style problem with Rep-Rap last week when I
hacked together a rig with the saw to trim down some pieces that were
too thick.
 The setup took about 20 minutes to setup and perhaps another 10 minutes
to tune up. There were eight pieces that would take about 5 seconds to
do each and a fine finish.
 Some member saw that the setup looked dangerous and suggested
that it was not safe and agreed to break it down and another member took
about 5 or more minutes apiece.

 I could see that my setup would not be safe to teach to others as it
was not child safe.

 Which brings it to the issue with DIY-BIO activities at Noisebridge.

 The first two group sessions of DIY-BIO was the most my most enjoyable
time at NB.  Ordinary consumer materials were used. It fit my core
principles and those of Noisebridge.

 However, in the recent issues raised by the DIY-BIO list was turned very
ugly with the purchase of controlled and hazardous substances and now I
wish to block any and possibly all DIY-BIO activity that uses such
materials as it is NOT CHILD SAFE within the context of NB purpose and
space. I have since opted off and away from that list.

 We also have some of the equipment such as the micro balance, the
centrifuge as well as some glass ware and the weird Electrophoresis
power supply should be removed and stored at other places. We need
the space for other and new active members. We are not to serve as a
dead storage depot.

Mike Kan