[Noisebridge-discuss] Bottle crusher and DIY-BIO issues

Meredith L. Patterson mlp at thesmartpolitenerd.com
Thu Feb 26 22:58:37 UTC 2009

Michael Kan Kan wrote:
>  However, in the recent issues raised by the DIY-BIO list was turned very
> ugly with the purchase of controlled and hazardous substances

Uh, no one has purchased any materials covered under the Controlled
Substances Act (or the Analog Act, or on the list of watched
substances). All biological materials are BSL1 and the only chemistry in
the kit is ampicillin, which is hazardous to people who are allergic to
it (so *nobody drink the ampicillin*, k?).

My understanding is that some DIYbio folks are coming to Noisebridge on
Saturday to discuss plans for wet-lab work (including the kit Tim
bought), talk about safety and disposal issues, and socialize.
Presumably a planning meeting won't be a problem for anyone?

Safety and disposal with regard to bio experiments is definitely a
discussion that needs to be had before any non-food-safe experiments are
performed at Noisebridge. That said, there's a pretty big gulf between
"non-food-safe" and "deadly", or even "non-food-safe" and "likely to be
hazardous".

Cheers,
--mlp