[Noisebridge-discuss] CQ CQ CQ de KA6RCQ

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Sat Feb 14 04:32:22 UTC 2009

Ham radio at Noisebridge seems apropos -- IIRC a noise bridge is a
device used by hams to measure the impedance of cables & antennas.

I'm fascinated by how the amateur radio community has been involved
with radio since radio was invented (wasn't radio invented by hams?
and wasn't there a ham radio satellite in orbit within years of
sputnik?). I like how as as self-policing global community it has
been able to reserve many segments throughout the spectrum of radio
frequencies all the way up 250 GHz for non-commercial community use.

My interests around ham radio include emergency preparedness (NERT),
and packet radio / digital text transmission. How possible would it be
to set up an irc channel over local 2-meter repeaters? It would be so
cool to get irssi to interface with packet radio!

Please add me to the list. I got my technicians license a few years
back, haven't been doing much with it, but would really like to get
more involved.

John

KI6BAI

* Michael Shiloh <michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com> [090213 12:21]:
> I just found out that Jeff, like me, is a ham (amateur radio operator).
> I was going to write to him privately but then realized there are
> probably more hams and possibly people interested in ham radio on this
> list.
>
> A small group of us have started a very informal mailing list to discuss
> topics common to both hams and the various other
> electronic/hacker/burning man cultures. There is no specific focus. We
> have discussed communication on the playa, participation in maker faire,
> bringing a ham presentation to dorkbot, and various ham projects like
> antennas, SDR, repeaters, and DTMF remote control of machines via ham
> radio. Like dorkbot, there anything interesting to those involved is by
> definition appropriate.
>
> For lack of a better title, we (very informally) call ourselves dorkbot
> hams.
>
> I invite anyone interested to reply to me and I'll add you to the list -
> so far it's not a formal mailing list but just a list of addresses in my
>  address book.
>
> So far, all of us (I think we number about 7) are hams, but interested
> parties who are not (yet?) hams are especially welcome. I certainly
> consider recruitment and education an important goal of this group.
>
> (A ham class at noisebridge is also possible)
>
> 73's
> Michael KA6RCQ
>
> (Anyone know of a free list server that is not google or yahoo groups?)
>
> (Perhaps at some point we'll have a website and wiki and maybe even a
> whiteboard!)

John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact