[Noisebridge-discuss] Network @ the space

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Fri Feb 27 05:51:33 UTC 2009

On 2009 Feb 26, at 200018, Matt Peterson wrote:
>  A bunch of other clean-up work has occurred too, but I don't
> remember it all.  I plan to put further documentation on the wiki.

Most of the old painted over and fucked with cabling on the first and
second floor has been pulled. There's still a bundle of cables that
run behind the kitchen counters, of which I'm not too sure where they
go.

There is now a (noisy) switch in the 2nd floor closet. The PoE
injector for the AP has been moved up there, I had to move the PoE to
a different location to make the cable I had on hand to reach.

Currently the drops are 2 ports on the hack shelf wall, 2 ports to the
left of the bike racks, and the patch panel in the second floor closet.

> P.S. I'm not responsible for the /hanging fruit/ ole power &
> ethernet to the center tables - even though I think the concept is
> cool and em happy cables no longer traverse a pedestrian path.

I'm responsible for The Arm of Doacracy . It drops power and a single
cat5 onto the table. We've setup a 5 port switch there and I cleaned
up (zip tied the fuck out of) the power strips on the table itself.

The reasoning behind it is that the power cord on the ground was a bit
of a trip hazard, as was the random ethernet that people would pull on
occasion to run whatever projects with (then not bother retracting the
cable before leaving), and also there are a number of people (such as
myself) whom would much rather have a direct connection to network
services and not deal with 802.11.

If you have any questions or concerns about The Arm of Doacracy,
please discuss them with me in person, thanks.

Also apologies to those that were around last night wile we started
unplugging things. I'll try to give a better warning that the wifi is
going down then 10 seconds before it does.

--
Rubin Abdi
Rubin at Starset.net