[Noisebridge-discuss] Storing a server, outside?

ian ian at sonic.net
Fri Jan 16 21:51:08 UTC 2009

> Isn't your Wok seasoned? (coated with oil) :) I think that is what prevents
> it from rusting..
>
> Whereas my sushi knife (cheap carbon steel) did develop some rust in my
> kitchen..

True, it is.  It was probably a poor analogy.

IME, clean carbon steel will rust if you look at it funny.  Computers
are made of significantly more corrosion-resistant materials
(aluminum, copper, silver solder, plated/painted steel, fiberglass,
etc), but also have induced electrical potentials in them.  From what
I've seen, oiled steel seems like a decent comparison (not very
corrosion-resistant, handles plain indoor air just fine, but gets icky
pretty quick if it's wet).

Of course, this is all speculation.  I think Rubin should just try it.
 He could distribute a podcast: Cooking with Debian!

Rubin:  Note also that your kitchen will be less humid near the floor.
 The colder air down there has less ability to retain moisture.

-Ian