[Noisebridge-discuss] Looking for interest in a Surface Mount roundtable/class...

Lamont Lucas lamont at cluepon.com
Fri Jan 23 01:33:26 UTC 2009

Jeff Keyzer wrote:
> I just pimped out my SMT setup.  Probably overkill for simple projects
> but really helpful for doing any serious work:
>
> http://mightyohm.com/blog/2009/01/diy-pid-controlled-soldering-hotplate/
> http://mightyohm.com/blog/2009/01/new-stereo-zoom-microscope/
>
> I have a lot of experience using the hotplate method, none with a
> toaster oven.  IMHO the hotplate is better for doing small builds.  I
> have seen people using electric skillets, that is probably the cheap
> hotplate substitute.

My issue with the toaster oven was that I had to move the PCB a lot more
often, which resulted in the occasional poor result due to my
clumsiness.  Plus to get some of the pieces to snap into place I had to
thump the whole oven which required practice before I could get it
right.  With the skillet you've got more access to the pcb you're
working on and don't have to move it as often.  but YMMV.

The SparkFun video tutorials on hot-air rework and skillet reflow are
really useful:

http://www.youtube.com/user/sparkfun?blend=1

these are the same videos, but with better navigation and text:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/tutorials.php

I'm going to go TechShop soon and lasercut some stencils for some small
PCBs I'm working on.  I used the stencil method once a few years ago,
and it was great, but I want some more practice.