[Noisebridge-discuss] 8 o'clock introduction chime!

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Thu Jan 29 03:42:31 UTC 2009

Al Sweigart writes:

> I propose adding a small program to the computer that is hooked up to
> the jukebox's speaker. At 8 o'clock, we play a recorded message that
> says something like, "This is the 8 o'clock introduction chime. If there
> are any members in the space whose name you don't know, introduce
> yourself now."
>
> This was just an idea to encourage people to know each other's names and
> prevent people from only talking with the people they already knew. I
> can take the lead on implementing this. I just wanted to know if anyone
> thought this idea would be silly or annoying.

I got kind of a bad reaction to my program that announced upcoming
BART trains this way.  My impression is that some members thought it
was distracting or alarming to have automated announcements playing
over the speaker system and interrupting people's conversations.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Wol dir, werlt, daz du bist
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   | also freudenriche!