[Noisebridge-discuss] anyone an expert at Processing

Shannon Clark shannon.clark at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 00:14:30 UTC 2009

Hi all,
I recently encountered some great visualizations created using Processing (
http://processing.org) an open source data visualization/programming
language and environment which has evolved a great deal since it was created
in 2001. I have some highly complex visualizations I've long wanted to
implement and I suspect Processing is the right tool to use.

Specifically I want to create animated visualizations of potentially
billions of datapoints over time - showing very complex interactions and
evolving patterns of behavior.

In the best case doing so in a way which is is not merely an animation but
is interactive allowing for the animation to be slowed down, zoomed into/out
of (likely in 3 dimensions - with the animation reflecting changes over
time) and with some capability to say following the migration of particular
data over time, to do various filters/manipulations of the data etc.

I haven't yet dived deeply into Processing - just starting to go over the
manuals and examples, figured I'd ask if anyone at Noisebridge has
experience using it. Or has alternatives I might want to look at using.

thanks!

Shannon

Founder, Nearness Function - strategic consulting, brand advertising &
sponsorships
Twitter - rycaut
Blogs: Slow Brand - http://slowbrand.com
Searching for the Moon - http://shannonclark.wordpress.com