[Noisebridge-discuss] Yerba mate

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Wed Jul 8 05:51:09 UTC 2009

Hi everybody,

As I mentioned at tonight's meeting, I just got back from a trip to
Southern Brazil and Argentina.  One very strong tradition in that area
is drinking yerba mate.  Unlike other regions of Brazil (where I've seen
mate pre-brewed, served cold, bottled, sweetened, carbonated, or even
with whipped cream and caramel), people in this area usually insist on
drinking mate in the most traditional way: hot, fresh-brewed, in a gourd
with a metal straw.

This traditional mate is strong, bitter, and pretty caffeinated.
(Claims that mate does not contain caffeine are rejected by Wikipedia,
although in addition to caffeine it does contain a different mix of
chemicals from either tea or coffee.)  So even though it's the same
herb, it won't have much in common with something like Club Mate.

I brought back 2 kg of Argentine yerba mate, as well as three gourds
and three metal straws (es_AR: bombilla; pt_BR: bomba), as a donation
to Noisebridge, and they're now in the kitchen.  Enjoy!

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Qué empresa fácil no pensar en
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   | un tigre, reflexioné.