[Noisebridge-discuss] To our guests

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 07:34:03 UTC 2009

Periodically, we have a push for people who frequent the space and
have a high degree of participation to become members. We don't
require that they do, by any means, and continue to welcome everyone
amongst our ranks. Often it gets to the point where there is little
difference between a member and a non-member. But it is important to
remember that there is a difference. Members are the people who are
the foundation of this organization. We're happy to host all our
guests, but it is true that those who are not members are guests.

It's been very exciting lately as we are considering the new space and
dreaming of all the things we can do with it.  It's fun to dream and
to think about what we can do if only we had more space.  As a result,
there has been a high degree of decision making involvement from our
guests. Now this is great and we always appreciate diverse opinions.

It concerns me when opinions of our guests come into conflict with
what our members may have in mind. It seems to me that it is a rude
guest who informs or even argues with their host on what they should
do. Pressing for things things like how they should spend their
resources, what they should do to accommodate their guests and what
their hosts should provide them, while appreciated occasionally, tends
to cause the host to resent the guest's demands.

It's the members who have made the commitment to see this organization
through the long term, and the members who are going to have to deal
with the results of any decisions that are made.  Although a guest may
have the best intentions, if they press for their own objectives,
these objectives could easily wane as the guest moves onto other
things.

If you want to become a part of this, I implore you to become one of
us. Put your name in the binder. We clearly need more member support.
If you want to contribute in a way that extends beyond giving a bit of
advice from experience and a helping hand, please consider your words
carefully, keeping in mind you're telling other people how they should
live their lives.

Christie

--- Disrupting paradigms since 1967