[Noisebridge-discuss] 224 12th

Geoff Schmidt geoff at geoffschmidt.com
Fri Jul 17 19:12:10 UTC 2009

On Tuesday, some members asked me to set up a showing of 224 12th,
the .65/ft office-ish space in soma. I tried to get something together
for Thursday but there were problems coordinating with TRI, the
landlord's broker. So it'll probably be Monday or Tuesday of next
week, circa 7pm. If you want to see the space and can't make it, reply
offlist with your constraints.

To set expectations, 224 12th should be in better shape (walls go to
the ceiling, floors in decent condition, etc) but I suspect it'll feel
like midlist office space instead of a blank h4x0r canvas. It's also a
bit smaller, 80% of the size. On the other hand, the buildout
contemplated at 2169 Mission is easily $50k+ if done in any way
approaching legal[*], and lots of time. If 224 12th is already divided
in an acceptable way it might be worth considering.

To be clear: I am setting this up because I was asked to do so. I'm
not a member and am not advocating for any direction by the group; I
just want to make what/who I know available to such Noisebridgers as
may want it.

geoff

[*] Some notes here: If you build stuff without permits, the fine is 9
(IIRC) times what the permit fee would have been, often reduced to 3
times the permit fee on appeal. The permit fee's a few thousand
dollars, but that's not the bad part. The bad part is that the city
can make you tear everything out and rebuild it, so that they can
inspect the interiors of the walls before the drywall goes on and such
things. When work is done with permits, it needs to be done by
licensed, insured, bonded contractors, with a few exceptions, and must
be to code. It is not feasible for amateurs to get licenses, but we
have friends with licenses. Clearly work is done all the time without
permits, but it is a risk in a space open to the public for events.