[Noisebridge-discuss] Quiet please?

Christoph Maier cm.hardware.software.elsewhere at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 01:23:06 UTC 2009

Listening to a rather heated discussion at 83c Wiese right now,
it's almost but not quite as surreal as "Red Dawn" last night at the
Castro Theater.

The social dynamic is between interesting and hilarious, but the real
controversial question that underlies it is:

How important is it to have quiet separées (for study, courses, etc.)?

What are arguments in favor, and what are arguments against it?

My own (irrelevant) opinion: REALLY quiet places (with walls, natural
light, a ceiling, AND a door that can be closed) are essential for
easily distractable people (like me) to get anything useful done.

An interesting counterargument: Closed spaces will encourage fiefdoms.

It's going to be interesting to me to follow how noisebridge members
express their opinions about this and how a consensus will be found.

If the people discussing this heatedly (and loudly) right now could
quiet down now, that would be nice ...

Christoph