[Noisebridge-discuss] Meeting Notes 7.21... they're plentiful

Steve Camuti mrcamuti at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 23:44:33 UTC 2009

July 21 - mediated by Mitch

Scheduling and Introduciton
- Membership process overview
- Consensus process overview - be excellent to each other, means being
aware of points of contention, and to possibly take steps to resolve
conflict prior to voting on a topic.
- Weekly event and class schedule overview

Out of Order: Meeting Binder Name reading
	Removal of publicly resigned member-elects.

Discussion Topics
- Treasurer's report: about $21k in the space, to be spent on what we
choose. 501c3 status is official, so all donations are tax deductible.
We are run on dues primarily. If you are a member: PAY YOUR DUES.
- 420 Clementina Viewing report. Corner of 5th and Howard. 2 story
wood beam warehouse. Concrete floor. Partially finished. 7500 sq ft.
available. Clementina street side of building is all glass. Brand new
site, made it onto our radar today, July 21.
Points of Note:
	.32 miles (500m) from the nearest BART station
	Less food in the neighborhood than 83c.
	Safe-ish neighborhood at night. 6th street to be avoided...
	Owner brought price down upon review of our organization. Building is
owned by a large real estate conglomerate, which may be willing to
donate part of the space to NoiseBridge.
	Fibre in the building.
	Roof access sounds reliable and allowable.
	Already built out in terms of rooms and major divisions of space.
	SOMA neighborhood may not jive with culture of NoiseBridge.
	Two art galleries as neighbors
	May be a future site of demolition, should the market turn around.
	Old HVAC system, may result in high maintenance costs.
	If you are interested in reviewing the space, set up a viewing and
add it to the wiki.
- Finding other spaces: feel free to contact spaces, realtors, etc. Be
up front about who NoiseBridge is and what we are looking for. Please
consider checking the Moving Desires list on the wiki.
- Buddy system of neighborhood division and investigation proposed.
- 2169 Mission status. Bathroom buildout cost to be investigated this
week. Electrical problem addressable. Fire sprinkler system to be
serviced. Sliding glass door to be replaced by landlord for safety. No
ADA compliance. If there are questions, please forward ADA-related
questions, forward them to Mitch.
Points of Note:
	Hot water heater in building.
	No gas service.
  	Not up to code. Space will be deemed unusable if inspector comes in.
	Confined space at 83c is providing pressure for finding new space.
	Buildout cost and time may be significant.
	Longer we look for spaces, the more we learn. May provide problems
with inertia.
	Lack of permits due to monetary concerns may result in future eviction.
	We've been looking for a new space for about 6 months. Lots of spaces
to look at. Not as many members have been looking for spaces as have
been participating in the discussion.
	Architect offered to be paid for to facilitate walkthrough and
potential code and ADA violations being identified.
	Upgradability of space may be high, but landlord scenario may be
problematic.
	Cost concerns voiced. Do we have enough money to rent this space?
Subdivision of 420 Clementina was already approved.
	Rent is not as cover-able a cost should NB somehow dissolve. Current
83c space has been pledged to be filled by membership should we need
to vacate.
	Is there enough concern amongst our membership to prevent us from
moving forward with this space? unclear, but multiple concerns were
expressed:
	• Not up to code.
	• Landlord has asked us to not pull permits.
	• Not an ADA-compliant space. May or may not be an issue.
	• Cost of buildout pending architectural review.
- We want the landlord to stay out of our space, a laissez-faire
attitude is ideal.
- 501c3 Status official. Larger space necessary for future growth.
- Ethical / moral responsibilities to investors / donations? Do we
care about what happens to our funding?
- Buildout loan in NoiseBridge's name may be a possibility.
- Cost of risk must be figured into any space being considered.
- Projection of buildout cost for 2169 Mission requested from
Architect walkthrough.
- MakerBot is coming along in its construction.
- BlackHat and DefCon events are coming. L0pht Heavy Industries
coordination on parking meter in SF.

Consensus Items
- Bill to call architect and set up viewing / walkthrough of 2169
space. Agreed upon by members in attendance.