[Noisebridge-discuss] Fixing a digital camera (or alternatively creative reuse?)

Shannon Clark shannon.clark at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 06:55:55 UTC 2009

HI all,
I'm not much of a hardware hacker - much more of a social & software one,
but I'm now facing a bit of a hardware question/opportunity.

I have a ~3yr old Panasonic Lumix camera - great camera, fantastic Leica
lens, has been exceptional until about a week ago when I pulled it out to
discover that the shutter release/zoom control had sheered right off of the
camera - metal failure of the parts holding the button to the camera.

So here are my two questions:

1. Try to fix it myself - looks like I can find the part via ebay (though
I'd rather an easier source if anyone has one - I have serious issues with
PayPal - i.e. can't get my account working since I moved & switched banks)

2. Or alternatively try to come up with a good reuse for the camera - which
other than the broken shutter release button/zoom control has fantastic
components - a great & very bright screen etc.

So anyone have a source locally for camera parts (or a good online source
for them?) and/or suggestions for a good reuse if I don't repair the camera?
Seems a waste of great components if I don't do something with it.

Shannon