[Noisebridge-discuss] anyone an expert at Processing

James Shearer jshearer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 03:00:24 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 7:40 PM, d p chang<weasel at meer.net> wrote:
> Shannon Clark <shannon.clark at gmail.com> writes:
>
> how big is your data set? ie, are you going to be spending most of your
> time parsing it from some file format or can you 'pre-process' the file
> to be in 'processing' format so that you can force the compiler to
> generate the models for you?

Just kinda seconding this notion: I've done some visualization work in
Processing and some Processing-like environments (like Nodebox).  My
take is that it's pretty easy to prototype the picture you want, but
scaling to large data can be tricky.  If you're really interested in
visualizing potentially billions of data points and  need real-time
interaction, you're likely going to have to work with a dedicated
graphics API like OpenGL, DirectX.

I'd be interested in talking Vis ideas with you, Shannon, if you're
going to be at the space tonight or tomorrow.

Jim

--
"Egad! A base tone denotes a bad age." ::tmbg