[Noisebridge-discuss] anyone an expert at Processing

d p chang weasel at meer.net
Wed Jul 1 02:40:33 UTC 2009

Shannon Clark <shannon.clark at gmail.com> writes:

> I need to do (which will be visually a very very large collection of
> data - not from sensors but probably from transactions and the like -
> I'm looking to visualize economic activity to test economic models
> I'm working on.

i think of processing as a bunch of libraries rather than a
language. the question would be if your data 'fits' their data model or
not.

for example, they have something called loadShape but it currently only
takes input from an svg. otehrwise, you need to build the shape yourself
(old school gl programming style) w/ vertexes (they have strokes and
curves but it sounded like your data was not going to be in this sort of
format).

how big is your data set? ie, are you going to be spending most of your
time parsing it from some file format or can you 'pre-process' the file
to be in 'processing' format so that you can force the compiler to
generate the models for you?

\p
---
In the U.S. you have to be a deviant or exist in extreme boredom...
		- William Burroughs