[Noisebridge-discuss] Mercury vapor analyzer rental

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Wed Jul 1 19:08:01 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 10:29 PM, Tom Longson (nym)<tomlong at gmail.com> wrote:
> My dad used to play with the stuff with his bare hands. That and hold lead
> BB pellets in his mouth. In telling us kids this he'd always say "Just think
> how smart I would have been!".

Indeed. :-P

Unfortunately, mercury vapor is completely undetectable to human
senses, and the effects are delayed onset. So I go by what the MSDS
says, since I figure they've actually killed a whole bunch of rats to
test it, and what hospital procedure is, since they are supposed to
know this shit.

> I'm back in LA now, but happy to contribute $20 if you have a paypal.
> Otherwise, I can drop off money on the 13th when I'm in SF again (more
> permanently!)

I've no idea whether this is considered kosher by NBers (maybe there's
a NB paypal?), but sure I can act as a paypal-to-cash relay. Send to
pp at saizai.com.

Anyone found hazmat cleanup pros? It should only take 'em an hour or
two, vs our rampup to figure out how to use the thing.

Re. building a vapor analyzer - cool idea, but I suspect that it's
mercury-specific, which honestly we don't really need to have around.
Now, if we could build something that's superset (like a general
gas-intake mass spectrometer? I don't know enough chem/physics),
that'd be pretty cool.

Thanks,
- Sai

PS "UR A TROLL" is not a counterargument. I've been quite clear about
why and what my concerns are; please do me the favor of responding in
kind.