[Noisebridge-discuss] Encrypted Backups

Lee Sonko lee at lee.org
Wed Jul 1 20:33:14 UTC 2009

>  https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Attacking_FDE_hardware_solutions

I used to work for the sister company to Wave Systems (wave.com), they are
the biggest Trusted Computing company. I ate lunch with the Wave peeps. From
what I hear, it works pretty good. When you turn on your computer you get a
password prompt from the pre-BIOS Trusted Computing firmware.

The Trusted Computing IC on your computer's motherboard works with the hard
drive to decrypt on the fly with almost no overhead.

They said the Trusted Computing IC was built into most new Dell business
laptops.

Of course, that probably doesn't help Al with his backup problem.

BoxBackup (http://www.boxbackup.org/) might work for you.