[Noisebridge-discuss] A PAC for geeks?

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Thu Jul 2 23:01:24 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 10:50:41PM +0000, PSuliin wrote:
>  Sent to you by PSuliin via Google Reader: A PAC for geeks? via MAKE
> Magazine by Gareth Branwyn on 7/2/09

Note that Noisebridge, as a pending 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization,
cannot engage in political advocacy.  (That's why PACs exist as a
separate entity from non-profits.)  Members are, of course, welcome to
belong to whatever other organizations they choose, but please don't use
Noisebridge monies or facilities in ways that are against the 501(c)3
rules.

IANAL, and we should ask our lawyer if we really need to, but my
understanding is --

Of course the rules try to respect individuals' free speech rights, so
I believe an individual wearing a "Ask me about George F. Will" T-shirt
and engaging in conversation is fine; but having an advocacy
presentation using NB equipment would be unkosher.  Similarly, an
informative post in an unmoderated forum such as -disuss is probably OK,
but I wouldn't approve a PAC notice to our moderated -announce list.

Thanks,
-andy