[Noisebridge-discuss] Membership and Elections?

Rachel McConnell rachel at xtreme.com
Wed Jul 8 21:16:55 UTC 2009

Christie, as we're a consensus based organization the voting will merely
be a formality.  Once we have decided on the replacement then we'll
formalize it with a vote.

The legal requirements for a board member election are that we have a
meeting with the agenda item fixed, and that all members are notified of
the meeting at least 10 days in advance.  We must also allow members to
attend via concurrent electronic means, such as IRC or webcam.  Voting
can be done by voice/text, and proxies are allowed for members who
cannot or choose not to attend.  I'll have to look up whether it's a
simple majority or a two-thirds, but since we'll have consensed in
advance it likely doesn't matter much.

In terms of timing, I expect this meeting will take place in early or
mid August.  As a board member, I can call such a meeting with another
board member at a time and place that is reasonable (it will be 8 on a
Tuesday at our current location).  I've got everyone's official contact
info to officially notify them.

Also: if anyone wants to help me manage this process, or just suggest
how to do it differently, jump in!  Otherwise I'll continue along these
lines.

Rachel