[Noisebridge-discuss] Membership and Elections?

Al Billings albill at openbuddha.com
Wed Jul 8 23:33:54 UTC 2009

Two points:

  1) Mentioning why someone doesn't attend a regular event is not the
same as "I am complaining about a problem and want you to fix it."
After all, I and several others have fixed the problem (for ourselves)
by not attending.

  2) You know that I live in Oakland and work in Mountain View. I come
to San Francisco for Noisebridge, special events (like Pride), or to
visit friends, generally. Otherwise, I almost never leave the East Bay
(which is why I started the list for the discussion of an East Bay
space).

On Jul 8, 2009, at 2:56 PM, Andy Isaacson wrote:

> We'd love your help on any of the several issues you've identified --
>
> 1. we could hold our tuesday meeting at another location (a library or
> community space in the mission perhaps?) if some volunteer found a
> place
> and a way to pay for any associated costs.  (I would contribute
> towards
> any related costs if you found a space for the meeting.)

  I would be happy to find us a place to meet in Berkeley, Emeryville,
or Oakland, since that's where I am. I suspect that this would not be
acceptable to other members though. I would put forward that those of
us who live in the Mission are better placed to find Mission venues.

> 2. we are looking for a larger space to move Noisebridge to; there are
> several people watching Craigslist, talking to brokers, looking at
> "For Lease" signs, and visiting spaces.

  I am happy to do this in Oakland, Emeryville, and Berkeley as well.
In fact, I did investigate spaces before we rented our current and
discussed a few of them with Jake at the time (and others, I believe).
Again, not being a resident of San Francisco and not working there, I
would put forth that having someone who is in San Francisco on some
sort of regular basis look into spaces there would work best. Again, I
doubt that NB is going to relocate to the East Bay. If you think that
I am incorrect in this assumption, Andy, I'm happy to do more leg work
on my side of the Bay for the group.

> 3. our Tuesday meetings are insufficiently amusing, so we could add
> more
> amusement.

  I suggest a pants free meeting.

> I look forward to your contributions to solving these issues you've
> raised.  As you know, Noisebridge is a doocracy, so it's better to do
> things than to talk about them. :)

And it is better not to play that card every time someone makes a
comment about something they don't like, I think. Otherwise, it just
suppresses discussion because people will get told that they can't
bring up anything without offering to do something about it on their
own.

  Al