[Noisebridge-discuss] Membership and Elections?

Al Billings albill at openbuddha.com
Thu Jul 9 00:27:51 UTC 2009

On Jul 8, 2009, at 5:21 PM, Josh Myer wrote:

> Everyone is more than welcome to keep pointing out ways to make things
> "better," but don't get offended when those of us who make shit happen
> disregard your input, and especially not when we let you know we're
> doing so.  We have our own ideas, our own priorities, and our own
> perogatives.  Lots of us would love to help you settle in to making
> your own contributions (to make you a part of the "we who make shit
> happen" set), but we're not usually going to flesh out and implement
> your idea for you, and, until you show commitment to doing, we're
> unlikely to entertain much discussion of your ideas: they're not going
> to turn into action, so it's so many wasted keystrokes.

  *yawn* Rant rant rant. Yeah, uh huh.

> If this is another "ZOMG noisebridge is run by a cabal not consensus!"
> revelation to you, you should fucking show up more often and become a
> part of that "cabal" or stop bitching about it.  Everything that
> involves the group as a whole goes through consensus on Tuesdays after
> being announced the week before, the rest is simply a doocracy in
> action.  The "cabal" is the group of people committed enough to make
> things happen, no more, no less.

  Now here, I don't even know what you're blithering about. I've
certainly never said nor implied that Noisebridge is run by some sort
of cabal. In fact, I've often bemoaned that we do everything by
consensus when a simply voting process would be more efficient (but
there are reasons why others like consensus better so whatever). So,
whoever you're addressing with this, it isn't me.

> And we're actually quite friendly and helpful folks if you don't piss
> us off over and over and over again.

It's good that you can use that "we" to speak for everyone. Of course,
I'm just as empowered to do so as you are. Josh. Anyone who is a
member can say "we" with equal ability. So, maybe you should just
change the "we" above to "I" and be a little more honest.

Al