[Noisebridge-discuss] DL380s

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Sun Jul 12 01:55:59 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Shannon Lee<shannon at scatter.com> wrote:
> Loud and annoying isn't the half of it.
>
> Having servers in the space means that the power, network capacity,
> temperature, and even air quality in the space have implications for the
> services being provided to people out on the internet.  This transforms
> blowing a fuse from a minor inconvenience into a disaster; it means that the
> network being down is something that has to be Fixed Immediately rather than
> cleverly worked around.  It means that the bandwidth we use to use the
> internet is competing with the bandwidth we're using to serve our little
> part of the internet.
>
> Please, let's let servers live where servers belong, in their natural
> habitat:  a server room.

That's a good argument against moving the 4 cabinets that VA is
donating to us into 83c as well.  I take it you're against doing this
too?  There is something to be said for making sure the members have
physical control over the equipment that's entrusted to us; it's not
like it needs to be online 100% of the time.  We could turn on the
machines in the cabinets only when we need them...