[Noisebridge-discuss] DL380s

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Sun Jul 12 02:03:06 UTC 2009

Excerpts from Dr. Jesus's message of Sat Jul 11 18:55:59 -0700 2009:
> That's a good argument against moving the 4 cabinets that VA is
> donating to us into 83c as well.  I take it you're against doing this
> too?  There is something to be said for making sure the members have
> physical control over the equipment that's entrusted to us; it's not
> like it needs to be online 100% of the time.  We could turn on the
> machines in the cabinets only when we need them...

I like the idea of having the servers here in SF and at noisebridge so
that we can poke at them easily.

That being said, it sounds like the things people are interested in
doing with these aren't necessarily server-like, but more like projects
that need some extra power once in a while or for a one-off job.

Still, I think a *full* rack doesn't make sense in the amount of space
we have now. I just can't see a place to put it without really getting
in the way somewhere.

Maybe a compromise would be to keep them installed down on the peninsula
(Dr. J, where exactly? I'm curious) until we get more space (which
sounds like more of a when than an if at this point) at which point we
might set aside some space for it.