[Noisebridge-discuss] DL380s

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 02:40:24 UTC 2009

Wow, this sounds like an argument I've had before...  Now, I can understand
a concern for people wandering off with our equipment.  I can also see a
concern for things hosted in Jesus' space becoming inaccessible if he gets
all upset and wants to take his toys and go.

But I'm hearing the exact same arguments for keeping the servers in the
space that people made arguments against using colo facilities in the past.
I suppose the "what if I screw it up so bad I need to go touch it" point is
valid if we have no access to the space where our servers are located, but
gee, the benefits so outweigh this.  The rest is really an emotional
response if you think about it.  Being able to look at a server and say
"this is mine" is not any benefit at all.  It's really strange to be hearing
these arguments come up after all this time.

Ideally, we would have a cage or colo space somewhere where all the
noisebridge sysops could have the access and could go reboot if absolutely
necessary.  Maintaining control is probably necessary in order to assert
ownership.  Businesses have been using colo facilities for years.  What
makes us special?

But if we get 4 full racks of servers in the space, I do believe we won't
ever have to worry about heating the space again.  Although August will be a
bitch.

Christie

---
Disrupting paradigms since 1967