[Noisebridge-discuss] DL380s

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Sun Jul 12 02:47:12 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 7:40 PM, Christie Dudley<longobord at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow, this sounds like an argument I've had before...  Now, I can understand
> a concern for people wandering off with our equipment.  I can also see a
> concern for things hosted in Jesus' space becoming inaccessible if he gets
> all upset and wants to take his toys and go.

John is listed as the rightful owner of the machines and get at them
too, once I finish something there and give him the necessary bits to
get in.

> But I'm hearing the exact same arguments for keeping the servers in the
> space that people made arguments against using colo facilities in the past.
> I suppose the "what if I screw it up so bad I need to go touch it" point is
> valid if we have no access to the space where our servers are located, but
> gee, the benefits so outweigh this.  The rest is really an emotional
> response if you think about it.  Being able to look at a server and say
> "this is mine" is not any benefit at all.  It's really strange to be hearing
> these arguments come up after all this time.

All the DL380s have full iLO, by the way.

> Ideally, we would have a cage or colo space somewhere where all the
> noisebridge sysops could have the access and could go reboot if absolutely
> necessary.  Maintaining control is probably necessary in order to assert
> ownership.  Businesses have been using colo facilities for years.  What
> makes us special?
>
> But if we get 4 full racks of servers in the space, I do believe we won't
> ever have to worry about heating the space again.  Although August will be a
> bitch.

Matt's original argument to me was that the louder/bigger the gear at
the space is, the quicker we will get new gear.  4 cabinets of servers
would seem to trigger that replacement quickly, I think.