[Noisebridge-discuss] VA machines

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Mon Jul 13 17:35:26 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 3:43 AM, Christie Dudley<longobord at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 11:14 PM, Matt Peterson <matt at peterson.org> wrote:
>>
>> Though I'm alarmed that donations (apologies, as it appears the DL380s
>> were never officially donated) can just disappear and that this act is
>> encouraged.  If projectors, drill presses, tables, lighting, etc other
>> 'critical' donations just starting disappearing, the space would be
>> bare and missing basic infrastructure that we're all proud of and
>> enjoy using.  Setting a precedent for lack of respect to our fellow
>> members equipment and courted donators seems like a bad direction.
>
> This opinion disturbs me on a couple of levels.  First, it implies that
> people are walking off with our equipment.  I think this is a malignment of
> what is actually happening.  Second, comparing placing a server in a data
> center to walking off with a power tool is like comparing valet parking with
> grand theft auto.  What dr jesus has done is a service, providing power,
> bandwidth and climate-controlled space so that the servers are far more
> usable than they would be in our own environment.

I should also point out that I successfully found out who owned the
machines in the first place and obtained their permission to colocate
them -- and had a few more machines dumped on me as a result :)

> I don't know how many people are on board with replicating the facilities
> made available to us on a donation basis at colo facilites, but I think it's
> a flat out waste of Noisebridge resources.  We have far better things to do
> with our space, bandwidth and power bill.
>
> Last I checked, nobody has been talking about ripping out the router and
> switch infrastructure to put in a colo.  The idea is pretty preposterous.

Speaking of the router, I'm somewhat concerned that this discussion is
distracting sysadmin resources from finishing the failover
configuration on r00ter, which is now several months overdue.