[Noisebridge-discuss] VA machines

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 10:43:55 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 11:14 PM, Matt Peterson <matt at peterson.org> wrote:

> Though I'm alarmed that donations (apologies, as it appears the DL380s
> were never officially donated) can just disappear and that this act is
> encouraged.  If projectors, drill presses, tables, lighting, etc other
> 'critical' donations just starting disappearing, the space would be
> bare and missing basic infrastructure that we're all proud of and
> enjoy using.  Setting a precedent for lack of respect to our fellow
> members equipment and courted donators seems like a bad direction.

This opinion disturbs me on a couple of levels.  First, it implies that
people are walking off with our equipment.  I think this is a malignment of
what is actually happening.  Second, comparing placing a server in a data
center to walking off with a power tool is like comparing valet parking with
grand theft auto.  What dr jesus has done is a service, providing power,
bandwidth and climate-controlled space so that the servers are far more
usable than they would be in our own environment.

I don't know how many people are on board with replicating the facilities
made available to us on a donation basis at colo facilites, but I think it's
a flat out waste of Noisebridge resources.  We have far better things to do
with our space, bandwidth and power bill.

Last I checked, nobody has been talking about ripping out the router and
switch infrastructure to put in a colo.  The idea is pretty preposterous.

Christie

---
Disrupting paradigms since 1967