[Noisebridge-discuss] Build Team Progress--FLOORS

jim jim at well.com
Thu Jul 16 23:34:16 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 15:52 -0700, Sai Emrys wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Shannon Lee<shannon at scatter.com> wrote:
> > This is all contingent on whether we care about the state of the
> > floors; so what do you think, Noisebridge?  Do we care about the floors?
JS: I do:
* floors have a definite affect on the ambiance and
what's there have a depressing effect: better floors,
better moods.
* mainly for me, sand down the top 64th or 32nd of an
inch, smear on goo to fill holes, maybe smear on some
stain, put on a coat of shellac, sand the shellac, put
on one or two coats of varathane or some such tough
sealer so's to get rid of or minimize the groady filth
and disease that's there and make on-going cleaning
and such easier. (it can happen that a splinter in a
bare foot or other flesh, e.g. in a fall, can start
blood poisoning: i've seen it, not with floors but
from old wood studs.) and it might be good, just in
case anyone spills or mops, that stuff doesn't drip
down onto whatever's just below on the second floor.

Would said refurbishment address their sagging / unevenness,
JS: no

or only
> their roughness / ugliness?
>
> (I presume that repairing the ~3 spots with significant water damage
> to be the same quality as the surrounding flooring is already a
> given...?)
JS: not in my mind. that'll take a separate approach
and skill set.