[Noisebridge-discuss] Build Team Progress

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Fri Jul 17 17:21:47 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 10:10:44AM -0700, Shannon Lee wrote:
> Actually, one point of opinion-al convergence I forgot to mention was this:
> Whatever walls we build are going to end up being 8' walls, like the ones
> currently in the space, despite the 12' ceilings.  This is because the space
> up by the ceiling is full of power, lights and sprinklers; if nothing else,
> occluding the sprinklers is a good way to get (a) killed and (b) the fire
> inspectors mad at us.

I agree that we cannot have unsprinkled areas; that would be stupid.

But, it's not that expensive to have a technician configure the
sprinklers to work with whatever wall layout we choose.

I don't think that 8' walls will be sufficient, and I think it's foolish
to artificially limit ourselves due to a non-problem.

 - the wood/metal shop will get the entire space dirty if it's not
   enclosed.
 - the quiet areas will never be quiet if it shares airspace with the
   rest of the space.
 - 8' walls are insufficient to allow two classes to operate
   simultaneously (unless they're far apart).
 - 8' walls make the entire space feel more claptrap.

I'm not claiming that every wall needs to go to the ceiling, but I am
claiming that some walls do.

-andy