[Noisebridge-discuss] Is there a loophole for building walls in a new space without a permit?

Christoph Maier cm.hardware.software.elsewhere at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 22:51:24 UTC 2009

Disclaimer: I am no member of noisebridge,
and so far only remotely interested to become one.

Feel free to use the follwing, ignore it ...
or feel Rightfully Indignated about a non-member voicin ideas (and post
it to the group).

I ain't no Ingvar Kamprad, but I kind of like the general idea of Ivar
shelves [ http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=ivar ]
(i.e., kit elements for shelves/room dividers/whatever ...).

What would it take to come up with something that is
      * shelf space
      * with variable height ( width? ) ( depth ?? )
      * with [ movable ] [ writable ] [ transparent ] [ soundproof ]
        wall panels on [ 0 | 1 | 2 ] sides
      * combinable at angles of multiples of 30 or 45 degrees
      * more or less movable (i.e. you should be able to connect the
        elements rigidly or make them relatively easy to move, but in
        any case easy to transport from one place to another)
      * compliant to whatever earthquake/fire/chemical codes may apply
      * certifiable to meet code not as part of any one building, but as
        some sort of furntiure (like, maybe, library shelves), so the
        certification could be done once and for all ( [hacker]spaces in
        SFO, CA, the US and A ... ?)
      * oh yes, and useful as a soapbox ... from which I will get down
        now.
???

Christoph