[Noisebridge-discuss] 2169 Mission status

d p chang weasel at meer.net
Mon Jul 20 03:48:31 UTC 2009

Andy Isaacson <adi at hexapodia.org> writes:

> 1. we have a contractor come in and replace the existing smaller
> bathroom with a larger one.  Depending on cost, include a shower stall
> in this project.  Have permit inspections done for the plumbing,
> lighting, and construction work on this project.  I've started the
> process of getting quotes on this work with a ballpark budget of <$6k.
> And I'll put on my first-time-contractor-customer hat and say "I see
> no reason why that work+inspection can't be done by August 15."

having just done a bathroom officially (our sewer line is a little
tricky), the key is having actual plans (really to scale w/ notes about
ceiling height/fixture placement/etc) for the contractor/permit
people. don't worry, you're allowed to change stuff after the permit's
been approved.

the contractors we talked to didn't want to talk about anything w/o a
plan (code for 'we are serious'). then there is a 'preliminary' approval
w/ the city to get the 'job card' where they go over your plans. it
takes a couple of hours to get all of the preliminary stuff signed-off
on (ours took a little longer because i showed up at 11am and had to
wait for people to come back from 'lunch' :-). in the current world,
there aren't that many people doing this sort of thing so we were told
there was less waiting than in times gone by.

during work, the contractor scheduled 'phase' inspections (ie, walls and
plumbing and electric had separate guys coming in for roughly 15s
apiece), and sometimes it seemd likeeverything stopped for the day
waiting for the next inspection.

probably no one on this list has seen our 'wee bath' but it fits under a
stairway (basically, harry potter's room converted to a wc). the initial
estimate was 2 weeks and it was done in slightly less than a month.

\p
---
Dying is a wild night and a new road. - Emily Dickinson