[Noisebridge-discuss] 2169 Mission status

Matt Peterson matt at peterson.org
Mon Jul 20 21:41:07 UTC 2009

Ok, my big concern is the budget.  I hate to come across as the party
pooper here.  It's well known that house remodels and upgrades run
over budget, particularly for newbies in this realm - I could only
imagine commercial refurbs requiring even more knowledge.  Do we have
members or friends with intimate knowledge of the permitting process,
contractor negotiation, parts sourcing, etc (ideally ones willing to
step up and lead this)?  Sai had valid points in this realm at the
last meeting, however the overall excitement overruled him repeatedly
from diving into this.

I plan to block unless a detailed budget is published and agreed
upon.  Our treasurer should be presenting data that shows our /
existing/ membership base allows us to afford this space for some time
PLUS additional surplus from the recent fundraising round.  Let's get
actual quotes from contractors.  Hand waving and "just trust us" isn't
going to fly.

In terms of the funds earmarked for the new space, to what extent do
we limit purchases and upgrades?  I see the most critical items being:
bathroom(s)/shower, electrical, walls, kitchen and other common shared
infrastructure.  These are meant to meet ADA, building code
worthiness, general safety and comfort requirements.  What happens
when funds are spent, on say on a meat-only storage freezer, color
photo processing equipment or an industrial CNC machines (all
hypothetical examples) - yielding gear that isn't "new space"
specific; are funders Ok with these type of purchases?

Again, not trying to come off as the nay-sayer here but we're flying
blind from what I can gather currently.  I'm very excited about the
new space itself, the breathing room we'll have and fun network
upgrades that will follow.  Let's just be up front and realistic about
the costs.

--Matt