[Noisebridge-discuss] Club Mate?

Matt Peterson matt at peterson.org
Thu Jul 23 11:22:35 UTC 2009

This drink holds special value in hackerspaces around the world, Tschunk
is not to be missed <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tschunk> and
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dork/2552052202/>.  I was fairly amazed
how addictive the initially hay-flavored soda'ish drink becomes.  The first
bottle is quite awful, folks tend to swing back for a second round - just
to confirm how horrible the taste is, by the third bottle you're
hooked... True story.  I've been bringing back cases everytime I route
though Germany <http://www.flickr.com/photos/dork/tags/clubmate/>.

Sadly it's a real pain to for such refreshment to show up on our shores.
The bottler is apparently a small brewery who isn't interested in
gearing the product for overseas sales (ie: bottled in plastic, selling
just the bulk liquid, etc).  The weight and BYO shipping/customs process
makes this even more challenging.

I'd love to see this for sale @ NB and other domestic hackerspaces, sign
me up to chip in a few hundred to make this happen.  Maybe a tasting is
due to convert the masses?

--Matt