[Noisebridge-discuss] Another try at a Ruby group...

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Mon Jul 27 05:48:14 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 10:37 PM, Mitch Altman<maltman23 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I know exactly how I would like to massage the data, and exactly how I would
> like to output the data to a text file (in my own format, specific for my
> firmware to make use of) -- so that isn't a problem at all for me.

Perfect, then, 'cause that'll be the hard parts. ;-)

> It's just learning to use Ruby that has stopped me from proceeding (even though
> I'm sure it is easy enough, especially with the help of some friendly NB
> folks).

I presume if you're doing this at all that you already have decent
coding skills (so you don't need to be taught e.g. what functions,
variables, arrays, etc are).

IMHO Ruby has a very easy learning curve as a language. Minimal
overhead stuff or having to worry about various low-level details

If you're in the mood for a introduction via play, try this:
http://tryruby.hobix.com (run help and help 2)

http://www.rubyist.net/~slagell/ruby/ is probably the most concise,
readable meta documentation I know of if you prefer something more
explicit. It's not comprehensive, but covers 90% of what you'll care
about. Ask if you have any other questions, Jason or I should be able
to either answer 'em or point to some good resource.

- Sai