[Noisebridge-discuss] Another try at a Ruby group...

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 27 05:53:01 UTC 2009

> From: noisebridge at saizai.com
> Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 22:48:14 -0700
> Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] Another try at a Ruby group...
> To: maltman23 at hotmail.com
> CC: zeptozorro at whitericer.com; noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
>
> On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 10:37 PM, Mitch Altman<maltman23 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I know exactly how I would like to massage the data, and exactly how I would
> > like to output the data to a text file (in my own format, specific for my
> > firmware to make use of) -- so that isn't a problem at all for me.
>
> Perfect, then, 'cause that'll be the hard parts. ;-)
>
> > It's just learning to use Ruby that has stopped me from proceeding (even though
> > I'm sure it is easy enough, especially with the help of some friendly NB
> > folks).
>
> I presume if you're doing this at all that you already have decent
> coding skills (so you don't need to be taught e.g. what functions,
> variables, arrays, etc are).
>
> IMHO Ruby has a very easy learning curve as a language. Minimal
> overhead stuff or having to worry about various low-level details
>
> If you're in the mood for a introduction via play, try this:
> http://tryruby.hobix.com (run help and help 2)
>
> http://www.rubyist.net/~slagell/ruby/ is probably the most concise,
> readable meta documentation I know of if you prefer something more
> explicit. It's not comprehensive, but covers 90% of what you'll care
> about. Ask if you have any other questions, Jason or I should be able
> to either answer 'em or point to some good resource.
>
> - Sai

Yeah, I've been coding all my life.  :)  I normally do assembly lanugauge (I'm a control freak at heart), though I'm good at C++.  I just have not done much in the way of scripting languages, or any of the non-ancient high-level languages.  So, with your help, I think it will be really fun to learn Ruby.  I am looking forward to it!

Thanks, Sai and Jason.

Mitch.