[Noisebridge-discuss] Another try at a Ruby group...

d p chang weasel at meer.net
Mon Jul 27 14:55:37 UTC 2009

Sai Emrys <noisebridge at saizai.com> writes:

> On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Mitch Altman<maltman23 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Yeah, I've been coding all my life.  :)  I normally do assembly lanugauge
>> (I'm a control freak at heart)
>
> FWIW, I came to it from C++ (Palm OS). I had to ditch a lot of notions
> about fine grained control (e.g. doing pointer level manipulations,
> caring about tinyint vs bigint except in db specs, etc).

i think i like to think of this as 'thinking idiomatically'. unless
you're talking to something that speaks a 'foreign' language (db in
sai's example or network or whatever) 'translation' to your motehr
tongue is almost always wrong. a common programming language weenie
blurb for this provlem is 'you can write FORTRAN in any language'.

i think that this goes for natural languages as well. eg, at some point
i like to transition to only using a 'native' dictionary.

\p
---
By manufacturing consent, you can overcome the fact that formally a lot
of people have the right to vote. - Noam Chomsky