[Noisebridge-discuss] Another try at a Ruby group...

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Mon Jul 27 07:53:13 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Mitch Altman<maltman23 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I've been coding all my life.  :)  I normally do assembly lanugauge
> (I'm a control freak at heart), though I'm good at C++.  I just have not
> done much in the way of scripting languages, or any of the non-ancient
> high-level languages.  So, with your help, I think it will be really fun to
> learn Ruby.  I am looking forward to it!

FWIW, I came to it from C++ (Palm OS). I had to ditch a lot of notions
about fine grained control (e.g. doing pointer level manipulations,
caring about tinyint vs bigint except in db specs, etc).

So, just be aware - there'll probably be lots of things that you feel
like wanting to specify and just have to chill out on. It's a fairly
different experience from using a lower-level language. As they say
recently: "you'll get used to it". ;-)

- Sai